Rap

Rap is one of the most iconic genres in today’s music industry (and also my all-time favourite genre). According to the Dictionary, rap is a genre of music which involves fast beats and words recited rapidly over a pre-recorded, typically an electronic instrumental background. Personally, I love rap because it's a very unique and different genre. Its fast and catchy beats makes me feel exhilarated and powerful when I listen to it.

Rap dates back as early as 1956. DJ Kool Herc is widely credited for creating this genre. He created these over dubbed Jamaican Beats. It was called ‘rap’.  It became very famous in the African-American community.  

Many perceive rap lyrics notorious for being filled with drugs, smoking, curse words, etc. But that's nothing more than a stereotype. Rap is just a way of expressing yourselves and it can be about anything you want. Rap can be about anything and a successful rap song can be made by anyone; it just needs a little effort. Nearly every successful rap song contains three basic parts: intros, hooks/choruses and verses. Some rap songs begin with instrumental bars, followed with a verse whereas, some just begin with the chorus to grab the listeners attention immediately.

My sister actually introduced me to rap and it was then I grew a strong love for this music genre. A lot of my friends and I are fans of rap and we are quite up to date when a rapper releases a new album. I am not much of a ‘song on repeat’ type of listener as I quickly get bored of songs. However, my sister is the complete opposite and will listen to the song until she gets bored of it (which would probably be 50 plays later). Unfortunately, by the time she would get over the song, I would have grown a strong hate for it.

The rap industry is quite large and is growing faster, considering its popularity amongst younger listeners. Some of my favourite rappers of all time would have to be: Travis Scott, Drake, 21 Savage, Don Toliver, etc. They are quite popular and with good reason. In my opinion, one key factor of a good rap song must be catchy music. That role belongs to the producer. One of my favourite producers is Mike Dean. He produces music for Travis Scott, Don Toliver, Ye West and many other famous singers. 

Overall, I believe rap is a beautiful genre which is getting bigger by the day. It is much faster and therefore, can only be fit for a specific music style but thats what makes it so cool. I think its safe to say that rap has revolutionised music in this era. 

Comments

Popular Posts