Dont Worry: 48 Lessons on Achieving Calm

A recent realisation is that I love to read self-growth books. Personally, I’m not a fan of reading and it’s always come across to me as a very strenuous and tedious chore. I’ve explored the different reading genres and found that the books I tend to grow attached to would be mystery and self-growth books. During my holidays, I began reading the book, ‘Dont Worry’ by Shunmyō Masuno. 

Don’t Worry is a book with 48 lessons explaining how to achieve a more tranquil, positive version of yourself and how to relieve the anxieties of everyday life. It taught me that every human has ‘buddha nature’. It is a seed within everyone that has the potential to sprout into a magestic plant. No matter whether you have mixed feelings on a person or you tend to think the worst of them, know that 'all sentient beings have a buddha nature'. Within everyone, there is always good. Nobody can be 100% bad, just as nobody can be 100% good. However, it’s vital to begin connections with an open mind and take off those colored glasses

One of the chapters in the book explained the importance of not wearing colored glasses. Colored glasses refers to the preconcieved notions about others. Without meeting someone, don’t judge them off of opinions others may have of them. This will end up with an inevitable misjudgement based only on the preconcieved notion. 

Another lesson this book taught me was to focus on the ‘now’. Instead of brooding over memories and being anxious of what the future may bring, it’s important to always live in the moment and be as concientious as possible. There is no use thinking of the past that is ‘dead’ and over just as there is no point in thinking of the future that is not ‘born’ yet. There is a poem this book teaches us,

Even the chipped bowl

Was once a cherry tree

On Mount Yoshino

This explains how our past glories are what becomes the foundation for our present state.

The tip I can give to people who have a similar mindset to me is to try exploring different book genres. Go wild. It may take a bit of time but I’m sure you will find your passion for reading very soon and will realise it’s actually quite enjoyable. I definitely recommend reading this book. 10/10 :)



Comments

Popular Posts